When I choose to run my second coffeeshop company after getting bankrupt for $1500 back 10 years ago, is not a simple decision. What I concern is I could lose my money twice if today I’m failed but why I choose to start over is because my wedding photography business should think for the future investment. I love shooting wedding over and over again but I have a passion on hospitality business too, it teach me a lot how to serve people and think details of every part in business.
My name is Bima and thank you for stumble upon on my blog.
I work as a photographer since 2008 and I love so much for what I’m doing now, photography is my primary business and where my money stream is come from. When I open room for Airbnb in 2013 and able to build up to 3 properties than I start to think how about to make my guests more enjoy by serving good coffee in the morning.
Lately I run a small coffeeshop company right in the terrace of my house that could serve for 20 people at maximum. So much love for this small cafe cause I’m not only want my guest enjoying the best coffee from my hand but also enjoying the surrounding while they read a book and listen to good jazz music from my Harman Kardon Onyx.
From the bankruptcy of $1500 till earning $3500 cash monthly consistently than I’m so grateful about this. But when I still thinking that running coffeeshop company is not that easy than today I wanna share to you about what should you do if you gonna do the same business with me.
Running a Coffeeshop Company is A Tough Job
I’m not going to say that running a cafe is simple cause you may think for every single details right from buying the beans till clean up your cafe. During this time I got 2 full time barista and 2 part timer barista and they help and teach me a lot about running this cafe properly.
What I believe today is I must have a good daily cash flow so I must selling more and more coffee every single day so what I’m concern with is not the best espresso machine but maintaining the system and let the marketings goes well. Creating good system which can be run even you don’t stand by right in front of your guests is extremely important so if you gonna run a cafe that open daily even in a national holiday than let me share you some few things about it:
- Always Look at Your Market – Saying a hot white is quite difficult in my town cause people will know as well about hot latte or hot cappuccino so even I already paid a coffee consultant for $2500 but I choose to look at my local market cause this is where my money will come from
- Get Your Beans ‘Consistent’ Supplier – For a coffee drinker than chosen beans is truly important even they can feel the beans is good or not so having a super consistent coffee supplier is really important comparing you got superb number 1 bean in the world but supplied from un-professioonal supplier
- Clean and Homy – Always sweep your floor many many times even I don’t wanna see a dry leaves falling into my floor and when I saw there is a dirty part from the coffee drop than I will take my microfiber mop floor cleaning.
- Set the music on – I use Harman Kardon Onyx Studio 4 to play the music on spotify and even I love classic rock better than other genre but I always set the music on that related to coffeeshop company.
- Love Your Barista Over and Over – Once a month I close my cafe for 4 hours and took all my barista to some local restaurants or even city park where we can refresh our mind and soul, surely we made some notification on my rustic stained vintaged signage to our guest before we leave and we let them know what time we gonna come back.
7 Things That You Need to Buy for Run a Small Coffeeshop Company
Run a coffeeshop company will take you in a big investment, surely you can make a good espresso with manual tools like Bialetti 06800 moka pot but if you got couple of order lists than this tools will take more time. On this part I’m going to share 7 basic things that you must need to run a small cafe business.
1 – Single Group Espresso Machine
As I said before, if you want to make a coffee for your self than using Moka Pot is highly recommended and if you never use this tools than read my story about 5 simple steps to make a great coffee with Moka Pot.
Here in my cafe I use the La Marzocco Linea Mine that cost around $4700 but if you want to buy cheaper espresso machine than I could suggest you few brand that provide single group of porta filter such as:
2 – Grinder
Running a small coffee shop company doesn’t mean you have to buy big tools, here in my Airbnb house I serve only 20 people maximum in one time so what I need is small good grinder that able to proceed all the beans in a good way.
No matter what kind of grinder that you gonna buy than make sure there is a grinder setting that allow you to choose your beans fineness, it will affect to your decision like what kind of coffee that you wanna serve, it can be an espresso base and milk like latte or may be the single origin menu for hard coffee drinker.
If you wanna buy good grinder for your cafe than I could recommend several reliable brands such as:
3 – Scale
This kind of things is really important and essentials cause you must make standard operating procedure about how mush is the weight your beans is for serving a cup of coffee. Here in my coffeeshop company called Sapulu Coffee we serve about 15 to 17 grams of beans for cup of coffee and brew it for 20 to 25 seconds.
There are various of beans scale that you can buy and I could suggest you few brands such as:
4 – Porcelain Mug
There various of cups that you can buy to serve your coffee, from the one who come in flat white colour till another one who comes with various fresh colour that bring your cafe more attractive. Take a look for these several options below:
- Villeroy & Boch New Wave Caffe Mugs – you can put a cookies in it
- Teocera Set – 12 Ounce, or
- Sweese 407.001 Porcelain Latte Cups – 10 Ounce
5 – Milk Pitcher
This kind of milk pitcher also called as milk jug and use for steam the milk and make a good foam for your cappuccino. There are various of brands of stainless pitcher and there are:
6 – Espresso Tamper
This kind of tools is important and it’s called tamper, you need to use this to make all the grind coffee flat and tight in your porta filter before brew it. You can consider some brands such as:
7 – Knock Box
Having knock box is important even you can throw your coffee dust on the bin but it takes distances for ergonomic barista body. I use stainless knock box on my bar with a knock covered with rubber so it reduce the noise when you knock the porta filter.
Several brands that you can consider are:
- Dreamfarm Grindenstein – Coffee Grind Knock Box
- Knock Box Container for Coffee Ground 6.3 x 6.89 x 3.7 inch
- HOMEE Espresso Knock Box 4.8 Inch
Even there are still various tools that you might need for making small coffeeshop company but these 7 tools is the basic thing so you always can serve great coffee for your guest. I hope you inspire for what I share today and you able to start your business as soon as possible, thank you for keep in touch with me and get a joy of making great coffee for your own!